Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Why Texercise?

One of my main goals of joining Texercise was to get back to my exercise routine that I had abandoned a few months ago due to health reasons. It has been a difficult two-month period for my health. Before this period, I was able to run 12miles and swim 2.4miles, but now after nearly a month and half of not working out, I am struggling through a 2mile run. More than the physical activity, what tires me out is the mental chatter... when I have to face my own unmet expectations of where I should/ought to be. I'm confident that it's just a question of time before I return to my usual form. In the interim, managing my expectations of my fitness will be challenging. To enjoy the process of physical activities more, I think I need to let go of these expectations.

Texercise presents a really great opportunity and fuels my motivation to start exercising regularly again. I got the green light from my doc two weeks ago to "exercise in moderation", so working out 30min every day for the next 12 weeks sounds like a great plan.

Exercise and nutrition definitely go hand in hand. When I have exercised more, I've definitely paid more attention what I eat (mostly because I don't want to feel awful before working out). With a lack of exercise, I've seen myself slipping into poor nutrition.

Now that I've started a routine, though, I'm feeling so much more energetic and cheerful! :) It's surprising how a little bit of exercise can liven up your day!

1 comment:

Mitra said...

Great story Sharanya - definitely inspiration for the rest of us! I think it is so important for us to remember that any exercise is better than no exercise, and that the only way we will be able to build our endurance and strength is by starting somewhere - even if it isn't where we would like to be.